Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Let's refute Ray Comfort

Discussion on things related to LW, WotM, Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron, and Tony Miano

Let's refute Ray Comfort

Postby Feredir28 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Calling all members: who wants to have some fun?

I was browsing through Ray Comfort's FB page, and I found this gem. While I don't think he is wrong about #2, who here can thoroughly debunk the rest of his claims?
Attachments
6 lies about Ray Comfort.JPG
6 lies about Ray Comfort.JPG (128.29 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Feredir28

Re: Let's refute Ray Comfort

Postby Milo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:22 pm

1. True, Ray is not a millionaire but he gets his comfortable salary, plus employs his son and son-in-law. His wife has also received payments in the past. Ray is a high school graduate, former leather jacket maker, who now makes a 6 figure income. Not bad all things considered.
2. I find it hard to believe that Ray Comfort would disobey a direct order from God. I'm sure he never actually said those words, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't do it.
3. This one is true. Someone quote mined this from one of Ray's books. For someone who routinely quote mines, I find it amusing Ray objects when it happens to him.
4. This charge comes from other Christians. It's a meaningless bit of trivia as far as I am concerned.
5. Ray is wrong. The banana was modified by humans.
6. Study please. Christians vilify homosexuals, shame them, and kick their gay children out of the house. The bullying is from Christian peers who learned it from church.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Postby zilch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Right you are, milo. I suspect Ray's mistake about number 5 is that he is confusing "genetic modification", which of course occurs in domestication and hybridization, with "genetic manipulation", which has only been possible in the last few decades.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:55 pm

zilch wrote:Right you are, milo. I suspect Ray's mistake about number 5 is that he is confusing "genetic modification", which of course occurs in domestication and hybridization, with "genetic manipulation", which has only been possible in the last few decades.

Yes. The ancient people noticed that some babanas had less seeds and more flesh, so they cultivated those- they continued to do that until we have our modern banana, so, in effect, they practiced artificial selection to modify the fruit.
The upshot- humans modified the banan from the original- not some supernatural agent.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby vms » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:39 pm

If you're interested here's the link to this Ray fb post.

Also in the comments I found this interesting link.

https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.C ... _tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22}

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/freedheart ... afraid-of/

So what did we do that was so bad that four of the top Christian pages on Facebook decided to ban and block us, instead of engage us in the conversation and expose their followers to our message?

Rob (my husband) shared THIS POST on the Facebook pages of Ray Comfort, Dr. James Dobson’s Family Talk, and AskDrBrown—along with this message: “Parents of gay kids… I know you may not feel safe to even ask questions without being attacked. But here is information that can not only save your faith, it can save your child’s life.”

The result? Each page deleted the post and blocked him. But before they did, we heard from a whole lot of new parents.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:45 pm

Kevin asked 40 questions, I gave him 40 real answers. I thought that is what he wanted. I treated his questions as sincere.
Instead of engaging with my answers authentically, he deleted my post and blocked Rob from his page. But my post has been viewed tens of thousands of times.
I have no doubt why Ray and Kevin and Dr. Dobson and Dr. Brown did this.
They are afraid. They’re afraid of many things.
They are afraid their agenda and false unbiblical teachings will be exposed. They are afraid their followers’ hearts will be changed. They are afraid their power will be threatened.
As I said, we reached a lot of new people and I am very grateful for that!
As for you haters out there… just be patient, I have a lot more to say for you to be mad about. Stay tuned. :-)
- Love, Susan

Susan,
You are just another god bothering biblical cherry picker because you happen to have a gay kid.
Your one redeeming quality is that you have stood up to the other god bothering biblical cherry pickers- by doing your own cherry picking- because you don't have the stomach for throwing your kid out on the street. I'll give you credit for that, but just look one step farther and see how those same fundies are perverting everything from raising children to hate other children to the perversion of our freedoms as guaranteed freedoms granted by the constitution.

While you have made one wise decision I'm betting you remain loyal to other perverted teachings. Everyone I know would love to see the day when abortions are done at a very minimum, but do you know that most of your friends would make a ten year old girl, who got raped by a maniacal criminal carry the resulting pregnancy to full term? And then give that criminal parental rights over the childe even though the mother raises it? I'd bet you are one of them. Do you know your friends would force a woman to carry a pregnancy even when the chances are 99% that the mother will die?
Do you know your friends lie cheat and steal on a regular basis and take advantage of the elderly and disadvantaged people? I bet you agree with them on that one too.
Do you know that your friends think that christians should have preferred plotical status? Do you know that they would take voting rights away from YOU? Do you know that many of them think it is OK to discipline their wives by corparal punishment?
Do you know that your friends constantly try to take away social programs that help take care of our young, opur poor, and our old people because your friends believe the republican bs that that is better for those young, poor, and old? Do you?????
Since you have been so tight in the church for so long the only thing that helped you buck them on gay kids is tens of thousands of generations of human evolution and the fact that taking care of kids is a successful survival skill.
Your evolved empathy finally kicked in- but only because you were directly affected- just as you would be in favor of abortion if your ten year old daughter was raped by a mentally ill manical killer.

You took one tiny baby step. Now learn to walk like a compassionate and rational human being and discard the rest of the absurd beliefs that you continue to harbor. Please get out of that prison. The door is standing wide open.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Jessica » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:39 pm

4. That I believe in a "works righteousness" salvation. That isn't true. We are saved by grace alone, without works. Faith doesn't even save us (as these accusers believe). We are saved by grace, "through" faith (See Ephesians 2:8-9).

This stuck out for me, someone whom spent a lot of my childhood around Scots Calvinists.
Ray believes in faith and repentance then salvation, which is earning your way into God's heaven, which is presuming He will let you in if you say sorry. All the saying sorry in the world won't earn your way into God's book of life if He doesn't want you in! First comes salvation, forgiveness, then repentance. God does all the work! All you have to do is step forward in gratitude. There is no free gift of salvation. if you have to make the first step.
I know, I know it's nothing to normal people, those who have never wavered from the knowledge that one god is no real than another, and the Bible is a book of myths that caught on. But he has put it in the top six of lies told about him for a reason. Because other Christians are noticing.

How can the Bible be the perfect word of God if different Christians are reading different things into the same work, and claiming only they and not the other chap has got it right?

There is a word TULIP that lists all the traits of Calvinistic belief. I could rattle them off and now I can't remember most of them. Total depravity(?) Unwarranted something(?) Limited Atonement(?) I(?) Perseverance of the Saints. It has been a while!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby zilch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:56 am

Indeed, Jessica. As I've said, faith versus works, like many arguments about Scripture, cannot be resolved, because the source is ambiguous. Just what you'd expect from a omnium gatherum of slightly different theological lineages, not vetted for logic- and not what you might expect from a work, every word of which was dictated by an omniscient and honest God.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby ajbjasus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:02 am

Astonishing that "Faith" appears to be perceived as more laudable than "works"
ajbjasus

Postby zilch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:59 am

ajbjasus wrote:Astonishing that "Faith" appears to be perceived as more laudable than "works"

Laziness is laudable in my book too. But it can be overdone.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Next

Return to Living Waters & Way of the Master