Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

The Mystery as a Feature Film

Discussion on things related to LW, WotM, Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron, and Tony Miano

Re: The Mystery as a Feature Film

Postby Jessica » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:50 pm

It is possible for someone who has written for most of their lives to lose control of their characters. It is. I know it's hard for someone grounded in reality to believe. They do sometimes do things on the spur of the moment, jump from one place to the next in a direction I don't expect. But then with me I never think what I'm going to write next. I always know how my story is going to end and have to work towards it

The only time I've been effected by my own writing is when a character I invented did something pointlessly cruel. I sat back, realised and had to ring my family and tell them, I really hate this character.
And next time I referred to it it was another character condemning him and then at the end I made sure he explained why he did it and he was condemned more.

Crying over my own writing. No. But then have you good people have noticed, Ray's writing is an affectation.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Jessica wrote:It is possible for someone who has written for most of their lives to lose control of their characters. It is. I know it's hard for someone grounded in reality to believe. They do sometimes do things on the spur of the moment, jump from one place to the next in a direction I don't expect. But then with me I never think what I'm going to write next. I always know how my story is going to end and have to work towards it.

David Gemmel wrote about this. I think he said something like 'sometimes the character's write themselves and I'm just as surprised as the reader as to what they get up to.'
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:29 pm

And by the way guys. I did NOT appreciate the title of this thread. When I first read it all I could think was 'dear God no.' :lol:
Last edited by Chris on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby BeamStalk » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Chris wrote:
Jessica wrote:It is possible for someone who has written for most of their lives to lose control of their characters. It is. I know it's hard for someone grounded in reality to believe. They do sometimes do things on the spur of the moment, jump from one place to the next in a direction I don't expect. But then with me I never think what I'm going to write next. I always know how my story is going to end and have to work towards it.

David Gemmel wrote about this. I think he said something like 'sometimes the character's write themselves and I'm just as surprised as the reader as to what they get up to.'

Agreed, I write a little bit for Role-Playing gaming sessions, right now doing Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader, and sometimes a character just knows better than you what they will do next. Recently I had a Dark Eldar character that went and kidnapped one of my Player Characters' brother, I didn't plan it, it just happened and I as the creator and controller of this character was shocked by the action and knew that is what she would do in the situation. She had the means, ability, and was evil enough and determined to get what she wanted from the Player. It is funny when something like this happens though, at least I think so.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Previous

Return to Living Waters & Way of the Master