Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Place your bets, now...!

Discussion on things related to LW, WotM, Ray Comfort, Kirk Cameron, and Tony Miano

Place your bets, now...!

Postby UK Atheist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:19 am

I wonder how long it will take for Ray to bring up that optical illusion tract he has, now that this is trending....?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-35989211
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKlOKPU8F38
UK Atheist

Re: Place your bets, now...!

Postby Jessica » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:30 pm

That's a damn old one! It's at least as old as I am. If I remember correctly, it's all in the angle, the way you position them. Very clever.

I've just had a good read of the link you provided to the illusion and I notice it has a title, the Jastrow Illusion, and it was first worked out one hundred years back. There is also diagrams and explanations as to how and why. Although I can't kid you. Any explanation is wasted on me : My eyesight is messed up. There must be a misaligned wire in my head connecting the brain to the eyes or something because I can never see the illusion, or any optical illusion, even if it's explained to me in detail, in person, with illustrations.

I've had a look at link to Living Water's use of the illusion and I wouldn't be surprised if old Raymond and his messenger boy Kirk Cameron don't claim they invented it.
And their followers believe it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Re: Place your bets, now...!

Postby zilch » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Unfortunately, the illusion is "enhanced" in the train track video, by the fact that the lower and nearer track actually is longer in the image, because it's closer to the camera. Pause it and measure. Kinda stupid.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to Living Waters & Way of the Master