Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Apple Watch

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

Apple Watch

Postby vms » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Several months ago I finally upgraded from my old flip-open style cell phone to an iPhone SE. Recently I needed to get a new wrist watch so I decided to get an Apple Watch not realizing how sophisticated it is. First, in order to get it to work I had to “pair it” to my iPhone. The two communicate to each other via Bluetooth. I’m still figuring out all its functions but here’s what I’ve figured out so far.

The time display has numerous variations. I chose the Modular display which you can customize. I set it up to also show Calendar, Upcoming events, Battery Percent, Timer, and Mail. When you get mail it chimes and taps you on the wrist. Another thing you can do is upload a picture and use that as the display. Here’s what they look like.

Press the round button and you get the apps display. They’re pretty small so you can easily open the wrong app. It also has Siri so you can instead say something like “Open Mail”.

It has a camera app so you to take a group photo with yourself in it. You set up the phone and go stand with the group. What your iPhone sees you see on the watch. You can take the phone immediately or start a 3 second delay.

To can make and take phone calls on the watch. To make a call you access your contacts on the iPhone or use Siri to say “Call ###-###-####”. I was at the dentist recently and I got a call. The dentist said “Your wrist is ringing”.

It has GPS that works with the iPhone. It shows a moving map display and it taps you twice on the wrist when you’re approaching a turn you have to make.

There’s a lot more like the Activity, Exercise, and Heart monitor. The only thing missing is a camera. If it did, which I’m sure it eventually will, you would truly have a Dick Tracy wrist watch.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Re: Apple Watch

Postby E-lad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks for the overview vms. I have resisted the temptation to try out the Apple Watch but if I was till working it would be a no brainer. I love the features but just don't have any real use for them at this point.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby vms » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:57 pm

It really is nothing more than an expensive toy on your wrist. But I have found myself relying on the following:

Timer for cooking, when timer expires it taps me on the wrist so I don’t miss it.
Mail again for it tapping me on the wrist.
Upcoming events because it reminds me when I’m not at my computer or iPhone.
Also I tend to listen to my stereo real loud so I don’t hear the phone. The watch makes a vibrating sensation when there’s a phone call so I know there’s a call.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 pm

vms wrote:It really is nothing more than an expensive toy on your wrist. But I have found myself relying on the following:

Timer for cooking, when timer expires it taps me on the wrist so I don’t miss it.
Mail again for it tapping me on the wrist.
Upcoming events because it reminds me when I’m not at my computer or iPhone.
Also I tend to listen to my stereo real loud so I don’t hear the phone. The watch makes a vibrating sensation when there’s a phone call so I know there’s a call.

No doubt, very cool.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BeamStalk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Welcome to the 21st century
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Return to Free Frawl