Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Jesus' Wife...?

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Jesus' Wife...?

Postby UK Atheist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:15 pm

A scrap of papyrus claims that Jesus had a wife. But check out Mr Jim West's comments....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19645273
UK Atheist

Re: Jesus' Wife...?

Postby E-lad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:22 pm

While this is a cool thing, it is hard for me to see much value in a lone 4th century inscription, especially from the Coptic community. But perhaps it will link to other evidence in time.

But very interesting!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:12 am

Jim West, a professor and Baptist pastor in Tennessee, said: "A statement on a papyrus fragment isn't proof of anything. It's nothing more than a statement 'in thin air', without substantial context."

Wolf-Peter Funk, a noted Coptic linguist attending the same conference as Prof King, said there were "thousands of scraps of papyrus where you find crazy things," and many questions remained about the fragment.

I guess that applies to any scraps of papyrus. Irony is lost on fundies.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby lehman scott » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Here's the inside story on the papyrus fragment: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... =fullstory
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby zilch » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Fascinating, lehman, thanks. I'm no Bible scholar, but I suspect that Prof. King is right here- there were many streams of thought in the bubbling cauldron of early Christianity, until the Nicene Council put a lid on it for political expedience- or God told them what was what, take your pick. But the lid is still jigglin' and wigglin' and lettin' out puffs of steam even today.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby lehman scott » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:59 pm

zilch wrote:Fascinating, lehman, thanks. I'm no Bible scholar, but I suspect that Prof. King is right here- there were many streams of thought in the bubbling cauldron of early Christianity, until the Nicene Council put a lid on it for political expedience- or God told them what was what, take your pick. But the lid is still jigglin' and wigglin' and lettin' out puffs of steam even today.

Indeed it is, zilch. Over at CARM I recently ran into a couple of self-professing Christians that stated that they did not believe in a literal Hell. This prompted me to start a separate thread to survey all the Christians there regarding their beliefs in Hell. The results floored me - - about half of them who replied did not believe in a literal Hell as a place of eternal torment. A smaller group of them believe in a gradated spectrum of Heaven and Hell based upon how one lived one's life. Only a surprisingly small number of them believed in the absolute Hell of the Lake of Fire that I was always taught. And almost all of these people self-identify as Fundamentalist Christians!

It appears to me that there is indeed some significant bubbling going on under the pot lid and some major transformations of Christianity are underway.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby pUREiNTENT » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 am

If I were the deceiver, I would truly lock my talons on the body and attempt to confuse and separate. Thanks for posting.
pUREiNTENT

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:36 am

Agreed. But if I were a loving and all powerful god i would simply squash said deceiver, and make an appearance all the time, maybe once a year, if so much was at stake for my beloved children. Or I could just reveal myself to people like pureintent. and give him evidence of my existence so great he doesn't find it necessary to reveal it to nonbelievers.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Return to SMRT BS