Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Historicity of Jesus

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Historicity of Jesus

Postby Milo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Anyone interested in a discussion of merits/pitfalls of the mythicists case for a non historical Jesus?
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: Historicity of Jesus

Postby IntellectualNinja » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Not unless historians start to take the idea seriously. Conspiracy theories and what-not are fun, but some people take them waaaay too seriously.
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby zilch » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Sure, I'm interested, milo. I'm no expert, though. Fwiw, I don't think the evidence is conclusive one way or another.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Milo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Well, some historians are starting to take it seriously. The difference between a Jesus who was basically a no body and that his followers turned into God is not very different from a pre-existent son of God revealed by scripture and revelation that was turned into a man. It is a question that probably will never be answered in a definitive way and in any case will not change any opinions on Jesus. I don't believe any man was God in human flesh because I don't believe there is a God therefore it doesn't matter if Jesus really walked the earth. Whether or not the mythicists view turns out to be correct or not, it does open up interesting questions on the origins of Christianity.

Please don't join a discussion if you are not interested.
Milo

Postby E-lad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Milo wrote:Well, some historians are starting to take it seriously. The difference between a Jesus who was basically a no body and that his followers turned into God is not very different from a pre-existent son of God revealed by scripture and revelation that was turned into a man. It is a question that probably will never be answered in a definitive way and in any case will not change any opinions on Jesus. I don't believe any man was God in human flesh because I don't believe there is a God therefore it doesn't matter if Jesus really walked the earth. Whether or not the mythicists view turns out to be correct or not, it does open up interesting questions on the origins of Christianity.

Please don't join a discussion if you are not interested.

I'd be more than happy to join/ watch a discussion on this fascinating topic.

I hold a view that has been shaped since I was 13 years old based on all my inquiries. Of course it is merely my opinion.
The key to understanding the Legend of Jesus, is looking at the context of the social/political/religio environment of the day, the 'lost 80 years,' and the highjacking of the narrative by Paul.

I'd be interested to hear this version of the 'Mythicists View,' because, I've wavered in my own conclusions and I'm all ears!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Milo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:42 pm

2 for and 1 against- not exactly a landslide but maybe enough to get the ball rolling.
Milo

Postby IntellectualNinja » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Milo wrote:Well, some historians are starting to take it seriously.

Can you expand on this?
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby Milo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:04 am

IntellectualNinja wrote:

Can you expand on this?

No. I know a couple of names but that would not be enough for you. I don't have sources for the claim by others that there are more and more scholars taking the theory seriously but that is what I have read. If I can find it again I will post it.
Milo

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:15 am

IntellectualNinja wrote:

Can you expand on this?

One historian taking the idea seriously is Richard Carrier. According to Wiki he got his PhD from Columbia uni in 2008. It describes him as "one of the leading current proponents of the Christ myth theory."

For the record I tend to swing back and forth on this but I would say I am mainly a realist rather than a mythicist.
Last edited by Chris on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby zilch » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:14 am

I'm no scholar at all on this, but I too am agnostic about Jesus' existence. There simply doesn't seem to be enough evidence to decide one way or the other- or more likely, somewhere in between. There are all kinds of possibilities that are all pretty defensible.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Next

Return to SMRT BS