Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Forget Jesus is a myth...

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Forget Jesus is a myth...

Postby Milo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:48 pm

....the gospels are myth. This may be common knowledge for bible scholars but is becoming increasingly obvious to lay people thanks to writers like Bart Erhrman, Richard Carrier, Robert Price, etc. Richard Carrier, in particular, has been making some pretty convincing arguments. I am sure these are not his original ideas but he has been presenting the reasons for concluding the gospels are myth in a very concise clear way. The story of Barabbas, the cursing of the fig tree, the story of Lazarus all make sense when seen for what they really are. One point that has never clicked for me until now, is the fact that the contradictions between the gospels are the result of one writer correcting the other. What once seemed like arbitrary differences in the gospel accounts, makes total sense when the theological meaning is taken into account.

Once the gospels are seen as religious myth it hardly matters if a real Jesus existed or not. There is nothing in the gospels that can be taken as fact if we know that the gospel writers freely made stuff up. That is not to say there is nothing true in the gospels, but without outside evidence and in light of the fabrications, it is impossible to distinguish fact from fiction. There has also been a growing realization that the criteria of embarrassment, the criteria of dissimilarity, and multiple attestation are useless tools in determining historicity.

I once believed the gospels were heavily mythologized accounts based on bare bone facts. Jesus was a preacher who taught in parables, he had followers, he was put to death, was thought to have been resurrected, and was believed to be the messiah. Now I think just about every story was created to suit the purposes of the new religion. Whether Jesus was always a celestial being or was a person turned into a deity may never be resolved but the life story presented in the gospels is a sham.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: Forget Jesus is a myth...

Postby zilch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:56 pm

That's a relief. I always felt sorry for that poor fig tree.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Dax Williams » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:31 am

Those Roman Catholics can turn anyone into anything
Dax Williams

Postby zilch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:46 am

Dax Williams wrote:Those Roman Catholics can turn anyone into anything

Their careful tossing of Scriptures that didn't fit their concept at Nicea helped.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby BeamStalk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:47 pm

Yeah I have been under this impression since I read Bart Ehrman's books. Like you said it doesn't matter if he was real or not because we know nothing about what happened. Nothing was written down until 30 years after the fact and then if you read Mark it reads like a fictional story. Especially the ending with the women leaving and not telling anyone, which begs the question of how did you know this happened. Or when Jesus is by himself or everyone around him is sleeping and yet they are supposedly writing exactly what he said. If this is supposed to be true how does anyone know what happened in these times, if it is just a story then the author is obviously making it all up.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Milo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:50 am

I guess it is the extent of story telling involved and the willingness to change the text and commit forgery. The new scholars aren't saying the text was embellished, they are saying it is story telling cover to cover. I'm looking forward to reading more about it.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Return to SMRT BS