Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Mark 21:45

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Mark 21:45

Postby Milo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Jesus gathers all his new disciples, which seem to number four at this time, and off they go to Capernaum to start preaching. Nothing is mentioned about training or teaching the fishermen, apparently they learned on the job.

21And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught.
22And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.

We hate scribes! Apparently bashing scribes is an old tradition in scripture.
Jeremiah 8:8-9 8How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain. 9The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?

Next comes the first of three healings mentioned in this chapter, a possessed man, a woman, and a leper.

23And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out,
24Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.
25And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him.
26And when the unclean spirit had torn him, and cried with a loud voice, he came out of him.
27And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.
28And immediately his fame spread abroad throughout all the region round about Galilee.

What exactly is an unclean spirit? Whatever it is, it is a perfect showcase for Jesus's talents. The spirit identifies Jesus as the Holy One of God. Notice Jesus tells the spirit to be quiet and come out, but the spirit cries out loudly and Jesus's fame spreads like wildfire.

29And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.
30But Simon's wife's mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her.
31And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them.

Jesus heals the fever and the mother in law then begins to minister unto them. Seems like a lot of work going on for a Sabbath.

32And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils.
33And all the city was gathered together at the door.
34And he healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him.

Jesus again silences the devils. They know who he is and Jesus doesn't want that information getting out yet.
Demons don't cause disease but God doesn't seem to know this. This is a clear case of science contradicting the bible.

35And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.
36And Simon and they that were with him followed after him.
37And when they had found him, they said unto him, All men seek for thee.
38And he said unto them, Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also: for therefore came I forth.
39And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out devils.

Poor Jesus. He goes out to find a quiet place to pray and Peter follows him. Everybody is looking for Jesus. But instead of meeting with the crowds, Jesus leaves town preaching and casting out of demons throughout Galilee.

40And there came a leper to him, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.
41And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.
42And as soon as he had spoken, immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was cleansed.
43And he straitly charged him, and forthwith sent him away;
44And saith unto him, See thou say nothing to any man: but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing those things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.
45But he went out, and began to publish it much, and to blaze abroad the matter, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into the city, but was without in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter.

Some manuscripts have "infuriated" instead of pity.
Jesus tells the leper to say nothing to any man but the leper ignores Jesus and blabs to everyone. Jesus is the Justin Bieber of his day, he can't go anywhere without getting mobbed.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: Mark 21:45

Postby zilch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:33 am

Notice Jesus tells the spirit to be quiet and come out, but the spirit cries out loudly and Jesus's fame spreads like wildfire.

Hey, if I could cast out spirits, I wouldn't sweat it if they didn't keep quiet. Not everyone can cast out spirits at all.

Demons don't cause disease but God doesn't seem to know this. This is a clear case of science contradicting the bible.

Can you prove that not one single virus or bacterium is obeying demons? I thought not.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby MaxFF » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Can you prove that not one single virus or bacterium is obeying demons? I thought not.

I think a better question is,"are there any words in their language for virus or bacterium?" I don't really know the answer to that, but I would imagine that a society without modern medicine wouldn't know about viruses or bacteria, or even have the language to describe them. Supposing for a moment that this really was inspired by God and he knew about viruses and bacteria, there may have been no way to communicate that the people living at the time. I mean a virus lives in your body causing harm, but people might not be able to understand that, so you just tell them there's a "demon" living in your body causing harm, and it sort of gets the idea across that something harmful is living in your body.

Of course there's no reason to think that what I've said is true, and the demons are metaphorical for actual causes of illness, but even if the real cause was known by God, I don't think the proper language would exist to describe it, at that time.
It's obvious that guns are the work of an omniscient creator, how else would they fit perfectly into the human hand
-Stephen Colbert on the topic of god given second amendment rights.
MaxFF

Postby Milo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:18 pm

But it is metaphorical at best and the bible is supposed to be literal according to some. Not to mention the demons talk out loud.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Return to SMRT BS