Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Mark 2:13-22

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Mark 2:13-22

Postby Milo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:30 pm

I am using Michael A. Turton's Historical Commentary on the Gospel of Mark so you may as well read along yourself. He does a great job of analyzing the Gospel of Mark. http://web.archive.org/web/20060502081107/http://users2.ev1.net/~turton/GMark/GMark02.html

13 And he went forth again by the sea side; and all the multitude resorted unto him, and he taught them.

Sea, crowds, preaching- a familiar theme in Mark.

14 And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.

There is a pattern that is followed each time Jesus finds a new disciple:
1. passes by disciple
2. sees disciple
3. calls disciple
4. disciple follows

Priests are from the tribe of Levi- is this a dig at the priests?

15 And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him.
16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?
17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

The scribes and Pharisees must do nothing but stalk Jesus and his followers!

Paul and Peter also wrestled with the issue of eating with sinners, i.e. gentiles.

Galatians 2:
11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

This might be a good time for those two to remember the example that Jesus set by eating with sinners.

Jesus's response is similiar to one given by a Cynic, "Well, physicians attend their patients without catching the fever." The concept of preacher/sinner=physician/sick person was not original.

18 And the disciples of John and of the Pharisees used to fast: and they come and say unto him, Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but thy disciples fast not?
19 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? as long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast.
20 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.

John still has a ministry and disciples dispite the fact that the messiah has come and John knows it, at least according to the scene at Jesus's baptism. Notice how Jesus answers a question with a question.

21 No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse.
22 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.

It took me a long time to understand the literal meaning of these two sayings since I neither patch clothes nor put wine in skins. I still don't understand the signifcance . Can anyone explain what message we are to take away from these verses?
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: Mark 2:13-22

Postby E-lad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Don't sew drunk?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BeamStalk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Milo wrote:
21 No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse.
22 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.

It took me a long time to understand the literal meaning of these two sayings since I neither patch clothes nor put wine in skins. I still don't understand the signifcance . Can anyone explain what message we are to take away from these verses?

Basically, you can't patch old cloth with new because it would be noticeable, instead you want to blend it, it would also waste the new cloth. With the wine reference, it has to do with fermentation. An old wine "bottle" -which would actually be a wineskin- has already had wine ferment in it and thus has already expanded to fit that amount. If you put more wine in it, it will expand and burst wasting the wine. So basically he is saying don't waste new stuff on the old that won't be able to make it fit anyway.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Milo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 pm

My understanding of the using new cloth to patch old clothes was the the new cloth would shrink and make the tear larger. I figured out the consequences of putting new wine in old skins but not how that information is helpful. I still don't see how that relates to the discussion about fasting while the bridegroom is present. It seems like a non sequitur.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Postby Weemaryanne » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Perhaps Jesus (or Mark) meant something like: "It's no use trying to understand these new teachings in the same way that you understood the old law. You gotta think different."

IOW, it's every motivational speaker you ever heard, telling you Success means doing something completely different from whatever you're currently doing, and similar mantras.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:00 pm

According to The Interpreter's One Volume Commentary on the Bible the analogies are both saying the same thing, namely Judahism and Christianity are incompatible. Hence the bit about the new patch on the old clothing & the new wine in old wine skins.

Keep in mind the Gospels were constructed from story fragments - called Perikopes - which were mixed and matched to fit the author's theological agenda. That being so it's quite likely to have Jesus talking about one thing and then launch into a totally different topic. Bit disconcerting but understandable given the way the Gospels were composed.
Last edited by Chris on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby E-lad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Chris wrote: Perikopes -

Me haz new werd! Tanks!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Return to SMRT BS