Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Earthlike planet found

A place to discuss science and research related articles.

Earthlike planet found

Postby Happy Humanist » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:08 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_ ... new_planet

It is my hope that I live long enough to see the discovery of life on another planet. I really want to see the look on fundies faces if that happens. IMO, its just a matter of time.
No Mr. Ham, the Flintstones is not a documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDpquig_3g
Happy Humanist

Re: Earthlike planet found

Postby FrodoSaves » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08 am

I was just coming on here to post that very link!
Froggie already took the best signature.
FrodoSaves

Postby Imtherabbit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:33 am

I wish I could be that excited but nothing will make them think this isn't just another miracle of God... or that we’re all just lying because we had God so much we want EVERYONE to hate God so we make all this up.. blah.. blah.. blah..

To bad they can’t share in the amazing feeling these new discoveries bring to the rest of us… and how amazing it is that life ever started in the first place… then again maybe this is the feeling they get when they thing of God, you never know…

sorry, no help from the Great Bunny on this one, he doesn't want to ruin the surprises and I don't think I blame him, it would be boring to have a deity gives us all the answers.
You see, in order to remain sane, I have actually gone insane, it's a great defense mechanism.
Come enjoy the wisdom taught by the the Great Bunny
Looking for something more serious? Why not look with Love
Bunnies be wit ya...
Imtherabbit

Postby ExPatMatt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 pm

I get a tingle every time something like this is announced - like when the probe landed on Titan - there should be celebrations in the streets for shit like this.

Anyway, now I've calmed down, I'm going to actually read the article!
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces. " - Zapp Brannigan
ExPatMatt

Postby Whateverman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:56 pm

ExPatMatt wrote:there should be celebrations in the streets for shit like this.

Here here!

/applause
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Whateverman wrote:
ExPatMatt wrote:there should be celebrations in the streets for shit like this.

Here here!

/applause

Me too.
Attachments
eusa_clap.gif
eusa_clap.gif (1.58 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby E-lad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:44 pm

OK, I have to admit that I am a bit obsessed with the International Space Station, especially since one does not need to have a telescope to see it.

I love looking up on a clear night and there it goes: and there are people in that fucker!

Anyhoo, if anyone wants to see it fly over you, you can determine the track at this site.

Fro
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Imtherabbit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:10 am

Now that is cool :) I used to ask for a telescope every year for xmas and I didn't get one till I was 25 :P
You see, in order to remain sane, I have actually gone insane, it's a great defense mechanism.
Come enjoy the wisdom taught by the the Great Bunny
Looking for something more serious? Why not look with Love
Bunnies be wit ya...
Imtherabbit

Postby Tilia » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:44 am

E-lad wrote:OK, I have to admit that I am a bit obsessed with the International Space Station, especially since one does not need to have a telescope to see it.

I love looking up on a clear night and there it goes: and there are people in that fucker!

Anyhoo, if anyone wants to see it fly over you, you can determine the track at this site.

Fro

Could you tell me how that site works?

I only saw the ISS once and mainly by accident (I read about it in the Underground ten minutes before it happened and we reached the street just in time).

But I saw the MIR on its last day in space :P
Skäms inte för att du är människa, var stolt!
Inne i dig öppnar sig valv bakom valv oändligt
Du blir aldrig färdig, och det är som det skall. Tomas Tranströmer

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason. Martin Luther
Tilia

Postby E-lad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:34 pm

Tilia wrote:
E-lad wrote:OK, I have to admit that I am a bit obsessed with the International Space Station, especially since one does not need to have a telescope to see it.

Fro

Could you tell me how that site works?

I only saw the ISS once and mainly by accident (I read about it in the Underground ten minutes before it happened and we reached the street just in time).

But I saw the MIR on its last day in space :P

If you are seeing the page the way I am, there is a graphic of the track on the upper right side.
The ISS orbits the earth 15.7 times a day so there are plenty of opportunities to see it. A pair of binoculars makes it even better.

If you are on the page, see the position of it and wait 5 min, refresh the page and you can see how far it has gone.

The ISS orbit happens to bring it right over my house, 90 degrees. From where you are, you will look to the Southwestabout 75 degrees. It is over Africa right now. Just watch the graphic and refresh to see when it will be coming into you view.

If you register on the sight you can enter your Lat/Long and it will give you the schedule and direction to look.

Ed- If you were in Siberia, it would pass very low in the southwest sky.
Ed II- Just in the time I am writing this she passed over the African Continent from the northwest corner to the southern tip.
Ed III Dang, I am ow totally confused. This site is showing a different track. I'll need to figure it ou later. Y*~X(

Last and final Ed- The two sites do agree. I was looking at the blue lines on the HSF site, but they are not the orbit track.
However the "Heavens" site is easier on the eyes for me.

Last and final, final Ed- Remember that the SS has to be lit by the sun so you need to look for it early after dark. Wait too long and it will also be in the earth's shadow.
E-lad

Return to Science News