Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Thoughtless Thoughts To While Away The Hours

A place to show the creative side of SMRT. Post your poetry, photography and creative works here.

Thoughtless Thoughts To While Away The Hours

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 pm

You know how every scandal is labelled with the suffix -gate, after the Nixon Watergate business?
Rinkagate, plebgate, Climategate, for example.

Suppose it was used as a suffix when a gate of some kind was involved?

Gategate: Someone is removing everyone's garden gate in a small Cheshire village. The local press police bring in the big boys and everyone tries to get to the bottom of it. It is rumoured a local politician is involved in stealing the gates so he can use his company to sell new ones to the locals.

Suppose the suffix rhymes with gate when in English?

Lategate : A long term employee accuses his new boss, son of his old boss for whom he worked without blemish for twenty years, of trying to get rid of him by altering the clocks in the office to ten minutes fast and then pointing out he is late for work.

Suppose when the suffix is added it makes an actual descriptive word, like in the original context:

Gardengate : Someone is sabotaging the gardens of other contestants in the garden of the week contents in a neighbouring Cheshire village.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Re: Thoughtless Thoughts To While Away The Hours

Postby E-lad » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:45 pm

Jessica wrote:You know how every scandal is labelled with the suffix -gate, after the Nixon Watergate business?
Rinkagate, plebgate, Climategate, for example.

Suppose it was used as a suffix when a gate of some kind was involved?

Gategate: Someone is removing everyone's garden gate in a small Cheshire village. The local press police bring in the big boys and everyone tries to get to the bottom of it. It is rumoured a local politician is involved in stealing the gates so he can use his company to sell new ones to the locals.

Suppose the suffix rhymes with gate when in English?

Lategate : A long term employee accuses his new boss, son of his old boss for whom he worked without blemish for twenty years, of trying to get rid of him by altering the clocks in the office to ten minutes fast and then pointing out he is late for work.

Suppose when the suffix is added it makes an actual descriptive word, like in the original context:

Gardengate : Someone is sabotaging the gardens of other contestants in the garden of the week contents in a neighbouring Cheshire village.

:lol: I have those same kinds of thoughts!

Like make a coffee table book about Coffee Tables (someone will surely claim that I stole that from Seinfeld, but I had the idea first.)

Also, please watch for my new book that is coming out soon: A Short History of Irony. 743 pages, self published.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: Thoughtless Thoughts To While Away The Hours

Postby zilch » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:47 am

There was a Gategate (not so named) here in Vienna some years ago, but it unfortunately didn't amount to much.

Türkenschanz Park has a large green area, and was a favorite for strolls all times of the day and night. It had a fence around it, but no gates at the entrances, so it was always open. There were occasional acts of vandalism, but nothing really serious: spraypainted toilets and such. But this was used as an excuse to build gates, at enormous expense, and close the park nights. As was predicted by the Greens, vandalism went up because the vandals were alone at night. I could climb over the fence easily, and I'm no acrobat.

I suspect there was some Freundlwirtschaft, old boy's networking, and maybe some kickbacks. Sigh. Corruption corrupts.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to SMRTist's Studio