Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Middle Aged Angst

A place to show the creative side of SMRT. Post your poetry, photography and creative works here.

Middle Aged Angst

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:29 am

The Perks of Being A Wallflower. What's that about? Teen angst, the problems of being young and not fitting in, seem to be all the thing nowadays. My middle niece is a middling fan of both this and the Inkheart series, as they apparently have the same theme, that is, being young and not fitting in, although the former is about dealing with real ordinary problems.
How about middle aged angst?
Being young and not fitting in is all well and good, but being middle aged and not fitting in can be just as offensive to one's peers. Because once you reach a certain age you are expected to settle down, get a family and mortgage and make money and put aside silly childish things. What was once considered sweet is now considered immature. Knowing the position of the stars or what Shakespeare thought of being alone doesn't pay the bills.The moon won't move if you keep gazing at it even if you do so all night. Being happy making enough to live on doing a domestic cleaning job is frowned upon and considered not achieving one's potential. Spending spare money on books and not banking it is right out.
If you get to serious middle age and have not got much to show for it, then you are a failure.
Anyhow. Instead of teenage angst, how about a story about middle aged angst, the angst coming from other people.
And there has to be talking animals. At least one, at least. Or the ghosts of dead kings come to give advice.
And I might call it Today Has Been Cancelled after the Helen Shapiro song.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Re: Middle Aged Angst

Postby E-lad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:08 am

When I got into my mid teens, I realized that I should make Not-Fitting-in an art form, and by god, I did it.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:40 am

Jessica: froggy's right- part of accepting not fitting in as we age is making an artform of it, and not worrying overmuch about the opinions of others, because we have what we have: originality, talents, and perhaps not many, but therefore perhaps even the more rewarding, friendships. It's enough for me, and I've failed miserably at many of my life goals. So what? I'm living and loving still, and I know that I do some good and interesting stuff too, as you also do.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:35 pm

Ah. The first full length book story I ever wrote when I was about nineteen was about a mother obsessed middle aged Welsh newsagent who just happened to be a serial murderer on the side. Only in those days they were called mass murderers.
I am writing one now, an alternate counter-factual history, if Edward VIII jettisoned Wallis Warfield Simpson and stayed on the throne.
My point? It's just a story. It's not about me. Nothing I write is about me. Well, it's a bit about me, just like there was a bit of me in Ed Davies, the middle aged newsagent. There is even more of me in the idea of being first born and having to decide, love or duty and how hard it is to fight against our natures.
I've been planning it on and off for a while ever since my middle niece mentioned how teenager outlier is the thing and I thought why not middle aged outlier? Why should teenagers have all the angst and all the fun? Only a middle aged outlier would experience a different kind of angst due to not bothering about raising a family, getting a mortgage, and keeping up with the Jones, being out of step in a different way.
It's only an idea and I have so many ideas I forget most of them, and there is always another one down the track, but some stick and this one did so I put it here just incase I do write it and send it to Amazon for the Kindle self publishing programme and if it catches on and someone says, 'I wrote that first', I can say, 'no you didn't, because here is it, it's dated and everything' and refer them to here.
Believe me, if I wrote about myself it would be a list of woes and failures. My life is boring. My life is so boring old people say 'God, isn't your life boring'! It comes from having things happen to you instead of being able to do things on your own.

Still, I am taking your advice on board, zilch and Dale, and it's nice to know you are thinking about me.

So what? I'm living and loving still, and I know that I do some good and interesting stuff too, as you also do.

Zilch, that is possibly the nicest thing anyone I have never met in real life has said to me. Thank you!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby zilch » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:00 pm

You're most welcome, Jessica. Your writings here are sparkling, insightful, and funny. Please let us know when your omnibus is online.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:28 pm

OK. I will let you, all you SMRTies into a little secret. Apart from family and friends, you good people are the first to know,
I am heading a certain direction at the moment, things are happening in my life, that could just result in I, Jessica Nield, becoming a real published author.
That's all I'm saying for now.
Jessica

Postby BaldySlaphead » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Oh congratulations! That's tremendous!

Well done you!
BaldySlaphead

Postby E-lad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:38 pm

You must alert us to the moment it is published!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Ultracool, Jessica.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Weemaryanne » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Wonderful! Congrats and keep us posted. :D
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Return to SMRTist's Studio