Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Finished Keepsake Box

A place to show the creative side of SMRT. Post your poetry, photography and creative works here.

Finished Keepsake Box

Postby E-lad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:31 pm

Gave this one to my son to pass on to his son someday. It came out pretty good, but, believe me...mistakes were made!

Cherry- Black Walnut- The sliding tray is White Pine and Black Walnut.

There is no structural metal in the piece except for the hinge and the lid stay chain. It is pinned, splined and glued.
I carved the top with one chip carving knife. The diamonds on the front and the tray are carved with a 1/4" skew chisel.

Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: Finished Keepsake Box

Postby zilch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Very nice indeed, froggie. I bet that kept you busy for a couple of hours.

As I'm sure you know, a project without mistakes is not a serious project. Your son is lucky.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

zilch wrote:Very nice indeed, froggie. I bet that kept you busy for a couple of hours.

As I'm sure you know, a project without mistakes is not a serious project. Your son is lucky.

When it comes to the carvings, the design, scaling, and layout take more time than one might think. Once I have the finished design to scale I trace it onto the piece using graphite paper. Carbon paper is a no-no since it is oily and doesn't clean off the wood very well.

You also see that the panels are glued up pieces. I did that since I only had one cherry board but it would not make the dimensions of the box I wanted. Since it was 1" thick, I ripped it into 3/4" pieces and layed them on their side for glue-up effectively giving me 1/4 more wood than I started with. Also, I hate planing away a lot of wood from the original board (so the grain is showing the edge grain.)
So, there was no room for error since I ended up with one single piece of cherry left over 1/2" wide and 14" long! :lol:

It's been over a month since I did the carvings so I'm working on some designs for my next carvings.......

Thanks mate!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BaldySlaphead » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:11 pm

That's a lovely piece of work there, Froggie. Your grandson will be very proud to own that one day!
BaldySlaphead

Return to SMRTist's Studio