Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Froggie Makes Cider

A place to show the creative side of SMRT. Post your poetry, photography and creative works here.

Froggie Makes Cider

Postby E-lad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: Froggie Makes Cider

Postby BeamStalk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Can I haz sum cidar?
"People know what Jesus said – Bill and Ted said it too: be excellent to one another."

– Pterry, live at the Sydney Opera House, 17th April 2011
BeamStalk

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:43 am

Damn decent....
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby E-lad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:52 am

BeamStalk wrote:Can I haz sum cidar?

Once the primary ferment is done in 7-10 days, I'll rack it off into gallon jugs, insert air locks and let er go for another week. The rack it off one more time for about two weeks. Then I add a bit of potassium Sorbate to stop fermentation and bottle it, so, she'll be ready at Thanksgiving. If you come over, I'll definitely share!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Whateverman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Nice. I used to do cider during the fall - made a really nice apple-pear with a touch of ginger; folks raved about it for a while. I haven't done it in a while, though...

PS. you should invest the $35 for a glass carboy. And I'm surprised that you're avoiding blow-off; I suppose that'll keep the flavor more complex...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:39 am

Whateverman wrote:Nice. I used to do cider during the fall - made a really nice apple-pear with a touch of ginger; folks raved about it for a while. I haven't done it in a while, though...

Recipe plz!
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby zilch » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 am

Yum.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:29 pm

OK, I've racked off the first fermentation and here we have the secondary occurring in gallon jugs with the air locks installed. Don't want any oxygen getting into the stuff now. The yeast has colonized my 'must' and has gone anaerobic. They're making alcohol.

The alcohol is rather secondary to the exercise. Preservation of the essence of the apples is the primary consideration. You can only store apple juice for a couple weeks. This will last indefinitely if handled properly.

The beautiful Amber color comes from the Bramley apples from my trees, they are yellow when ripe.

This two and a half gallons will result in about 9 liters of finished Cider. It will be much clearer as it evolves.

E-lad

Postby Whateverman » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Sorry that I'd forgotten about posting my recipe, I'll try to dig it up this weekend.

Dale, do you clarify your cider (re. enzymes)?
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Whateverman wrote:Sorry that I'd forgotten about posting my recipe, I'll try to dig it up this weekend.

Dale, do you clarify your cider (re. enzymes)?

Yes, I use a measured amount of pectic enzyme added about an hour before I pitch the yeast in the primary fermenter.

Then I racked off those two and a half gallons in the picture and added a bit more sugar and the fermentation took off again so they look pretty hazy, but they will clear up more after each racking and after the alcohol level is sufficient to end fermentation.

It's not my goal to get it perfectly, or even near perfectly clear, but it will end up much better than what you see in the pic.

In the final racking I add a bit of Potassium Sorbate to insure no more fermentation. I had a couple bottles blow up on me over the years. Not that they are going to hurt anybody but seeing that cider all over the floor made me very sad.
E-lad

Next

Return to SMRTist's Studio