Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Froggie Makes Cider

A place to show the creative side of SMRT. Post your poetry, photography and creative works here.

Re: Froggie Makes Cider

Postby Vagon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:36 am

E-lad wrote:In the final racking I add a bit of Potassium Sorbate to insure no more fermentation. I had a couple bottles blow up on me over the years. Not that they are going to hurt anybody but seeing that cider all over the floor made me very sad.

Heheh I've had the water in the grommit explode up, followed by that scumming fermatation mix that settles on the top. This wouldn't be an issue normally, but I live in an apartment and I take over some of the laundry for brewing. Clean the clothes were not :twisted:
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby Whateverman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:38 am

For cider I always have a blow-off tube for the first few days of fermentation. You lose a little volume and some of the complexity of the flavor, but I think it makes for a very clean taste. For a dark beer (etc) I just let it foam up then sink back in

Also, I've been known to use marbles in the carboy after fermentation, to make sure the volume is near the neck; you want as little exposed surface area as possible.
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:14 am

Whateverman wrote:For cider I always have a blow-off tube for the first few days of fermentation. You lose a little volume and some of the complexity of the flavor, but I think it makes for a very clean taste. For a dark beer (etc) I just let it foam up then sink back in

Also, I've been known to use marbles in the carboy after fermentation, to make sure the volume is near the neck; you want as little exposed surface area as possible.

Heh I never knew that... hey WEM you've gotta try some of my mates beer and tell me what you think:
http://jacksabbybrewing.com/blog/where-were-on-tap/

He went to the Sebel brewing school in Germany and then worked in Boston Beer Works before opening up shop himself.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby Whateverman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:40 pm

Dude!!! The Armsby Abby rocks (Worcester), and now that I've discovered my 6 degrees of booze separation, I'll be making a trip in the very near future! I'll post a review in the next few weeks...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby zilch » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Why don't you post some of the beer, too, while you're at it, wem. Thanks.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Vagon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 am

Whateverman wrote:Dude!!! The Armsby Abby rocks (Worcester), and now that I've discovered my 6 degrees of booze separation, I'll be making a trip in the very near future! I'll post a review in the next few weeks...

Awesome! Yeah if you See Jack or Abby (or Eric or Sam even) tell them Vaughan says hi. I went to his wedding about 2 years ago and it was cool because it was the first Jewish wedding I'd been too and the bonbonmare (sp?) was a 750ml of his own memorial brew. Sooooo good.
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby zilch » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 am

Are Jews allowed to brew beer?
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Vagon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Good question and I have no idea. WHY DID WE SKIP LEVITICUS?!?!!!

Nah he's pretty liberal, no funny hats and curly sideburns heheh. It was so good, about 4 beers on tap that he brewed at Boston Beerworks for the occasion. It was easily my second favourite wedding of all time.
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:08 am

Wem, Zilch, et al. If you compare these pictures with the one on the first page the results/ changes are very satisfying!

In this first pic you can see how the cider has cleared up after the first racking:

I took this letter with the jugs backlit, which shows it even more dramatically. I am now exactly one month into the process.
The jug on the left is actually still fermenting because I added more juice and a bit more sugar since that jug wasn't full after the first rack. It hasn't been racked off as the first to have been. It should be ready in 3 to 4 days.
In fact, you can see the lees on the bottom of the left jug and just a tad of light settlement in the other two. I didn't think it would get this clear!

Here's the pre racked/ secondary fermentation picture for comparison.

Ed- grammer
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby E-lad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:40 am

By the way- I did have a taste yesterday and she'd pretty darn good, and it will smooth out quite a bit in the coming weeks.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

PreviousNext

Return to SMRTist's Studio