Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Froggie Makes Cider

A place to show the creative side of SMRT. Post your poetry, photography and creative works here.

Re: Froggie Makes Cider

Postby Whateverman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Great stuff, Froggie!

E-lad wrote:I didn't think it would get this clear!

I nearly always use a single 5 gallon carboy for fermentation, rather than multiple smaller containers. As anyone who's worked in a large food-like processing plant will tell you, large single batches will give your product better consistency. My thought IRT the different clarity of the center and right bottles is that each one got different amounts of sugar, sediment (which likely contains more protein or pectin which add cloudiness) or yeast.

In any case, those look tasty and I'm sure will be appreciated in the (days?) weeks & months to come.
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Whateverman wrote:Great stuff, Froggie!

E-lad wrote:I didn't think it would get this clear!

I nearly always use a single 5 gallon carboy for fermentation, rather than multiple smaller containers. As anyone who's worked in a large food-like processing plant will tell you, large single batches will give your product better consistency. My thought IRT the different clarity of the center and right bottles is that each one got different amounts of sugar, sediment (which likely contains more protein or pectin which add cloudiness) or yeast.

In any case, those look tasty and I'm sure will be appreciated in the (days?) weeks & months to come.

I can definitely see the merit in that. Sometimes my trees don't produce apples for a couple years (often lose the blossoms to frost) so I never invested in a carboy, even though it wouldn't break the bank. After my primary I ended up with 2 1/2 gallons so I topped of the 1/2er and that is why it's behind the other two.

If my trees produce next year, I'll buy a carboy........I plan to let it rest in the gallon jugs another three weeks, then bottle it and let it rest another three weeks, except I'm sure I'll crack one in the interim for quality control purposes. I should end up with ten quarts of hard cider.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Whateverman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Do you have a hydrometer? Any way to estimate the alcohol content?
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Whateverman wrote:Do you have a hydrometer? Any way to estimate the alcohol content?

I do have a hydrometer, but don't depend too much on it. <y stuff is presently at 1.004, but I didn't take a reading in the beginning.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Whateverman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Should be nice and dry then!
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Whateverman wrote:Should be nice and dry then!

Yes, when I tasted it I thought it had the character of a pinot grigio, dry and crisp, only with the hint of apple, and interestingly, an aftertaste of mowed grass. I'm thinking it will develop a bit more in the coming weeks.
E-lad

Postby Weemaryanne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:26 pm

E-lad wrote:

Yes, when I tasted it I thought it had the character of a pinot grigio, dry and crisp, only with the hint of apple, and interestingly, an aftertaste of mowed grass. I'm thinking it will develop a bit more in the coming weeks.

.....trying not to get an image of how Dale may have acquired a taste for mowed grass....
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
God Hates Figs. (Mark 11:12-14)
It's getting worse. (Weemaryanne)
Weemaryanne

Location: Moving to Fredericton, New Brunswick. It's a long story.

Postby E-lad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Weemaryanne wrote:
E-lad wrote:

.....trying not to get an image of how Dale may have acquired a taste for mowed grass....

Wee, c'mere and jump up on my knee and I will tell you the story..............
E-lad

Postby Vagon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 am

You're not going to talk about the first thing that pops up?
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby rufustfirefly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:58 am

You like it hard, don't ya, Froggie?
rufustfirefly

PreviousNext

Return to SMRTist's Studio