Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

My Secret Hiding Place

A place to show the creative side of SMRT. Post your poetry, photography and creative works here.

My Secret Hiding Place

Postby E-lad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 pm

So, I had some time to kill when the weather was bad so I made this secret hiding place. No, not a place for me to hide when Mrs Froggie is looking for me, but a place to hide all my important stuff.

Here she is:

That happens to be my college freshman literature textbook- so sue me.

And here is the secret:

Aaaannnnd, here's some of my secret stuff:

Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: My Secret Hiding Place

Postby lehman scott » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Awesome, Froggie! I take it that one is for friends joining you in your study and that its partner holds the Sig for less welcome guests...
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby zilch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:18 am

Nicely done, froggie- I've always wanted one of those. The hollow book, I mean- I've already got a Flachmann, which came free with a bottle of Tullamore Dew. How'd you cut through all the pages?
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:29 am

zilch wrote:Nicely done, froggie- I've always wanted one of those. The hollow book, I mean- I've already got a Flachmann, which came free with a bottle of Tullamore Dew. How'd you cut through all the pages?

Yes, the cutting is, of course, the hard part. I had tried this once before and it was total failure. The pages move around and it is impossible by any means to cut out the pocket with any precision. So I bought a couple Nancy Drew novels for ten cents a piece and did some R&D. I also picked off some ideas searching the net and finally came up with a very good solution.

Wrap plastic wrap all around both covers so no glue gets on them- tape it down good. Then, mix some Elmer's Glue with not quite one half water to thin it out. I tried paining this on each page to stick them together, but he moisture of the glue swells the pages and it makes a hideous mess. So, you take a brush and liberally apply the watered down glue all around the edges of the pages with the pages closed together. Osmosis, or a similar action sucks the glue in just far enough to tightly hold all the pages together with out swelling or deforming them. The key is then to close the covers and weigh down the book with some very heavy weights. You have to wait two days for complete dry, but you end up with all the pages effectively fused together.

On cutting the pocket, I tried to drill the corners but the drill bits I had while being very sharp, would catch on and curl the pages, making a mess. I was then going to use a jig saw but never got to that point since the drilling of corners was unsuccessful.

Finally, I laid out the exact size of the pocket I wanted, and you must be very very careful at the start especially to follow your lines with an Exacto knife. The deeper you go, the harder it is to hold the perfect form, but it ends up with the walls of the pocket angling in toward the bottom. No problem if you are using a liner as I did. The liner hides the imperfect cuts. And yes, that is time consuming.

Then when the pocket was cut through the last page I used my Dremel tool to sand off any ragged edges. Then I painted those edges with the watered down glue, and weighed it all down again for a couple days. After that, the pages act like a solid block.

Then I glued the bottom of the pages to the back cover, weighed it down again to dry, then installed the felt liner.

I'm going to try another one (Cuz of course my sons want one) and try to make the drilling of the corners work which would greatly reduce and simplify the process.

I put some batting in the bottom of the pocket before installing (gluing in) the liner so it would be soft. Wanted my flask to be nice and comfy.---The liner isn't necessary if you're only interested in function rather than aesthetics. And your stash won't care.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks, froggie. I somehow imagined that it wasn't easy. I'll try it with dilute hide glue first, and I'll use Forstner bits to predrill the corners.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to SMRTist's Studio