Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution

A place to show the creative side of SMRT. Post your poetry, photography and creative works here.

Re: Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution

Postby MaxFF » Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 pm

I tried this out last night and its pretty awesome.
It's obvious that guns are the work of an omniscient creator, how else would they fit perfectly into the human hand
-Stephen Colbert on the topic of god given second amendment rights.
MaxFF

Postby Quasar » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Species 0.4.1 is released! www.speciesgame.com
"You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process."
- Zombie Marie Curie
Quasar

Postby zilch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:38 am

Looks good. When are you going to port it to Mac?

You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Quasar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:56 am

Unfortunately, probably not for a while, at least not natively. Since the XNA framework I'm using is a Microsoft product, putting it on a Mac makes me crumble to dust it stop working.

I'd love to get it working on a Mac though, so if you own one or know someone who does, maybe try it with Wine? If it works I can try to integrate Wine with the game.

The only other alternative I'm aware of is MonoXNA, which sounds like a good option until I realise it's bound to be a lot of extra work each update. In both cases, though, I don't have a Mac to test it on and don't personally know anyone who does.
"You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process."
- Zombie Marie Curie
Quasar

Postby zilch » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:43 am

Thanks for the info, q-man. I checked out Wine, but to install it on my old pre-Intel mac looks pretty geeky. I think I'll just try it out on our (also old) PC at home, which can at least run Oblivion at playable resolution and framerates.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby IntellectualNinja » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Wow, a lot of work went into this! This is great! Just two things. It needs audio, and it needs an in-game tutorial to get players started. You're almost ready ready to launch this into beta.
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby Quasar » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:14 pm

IntellectualNinja wrote:Wow, a lot of work went into this! This is great! Just two things. It needs audio, and it needs an in-game tutorial to get players started. You're almost ready ready to launch this into beta.

Thanks IN :D, but it's still got a long way to go before I get to beta.

I'm currently modelling temperature and ground fertility, and have plans to overhaul and improve pretty much every aspect of the simulation from physics to diet to AI to genetics, which should encourage more biodiversity and alternative survival strategies. (Also, Online Multiplayer)

The biggest thing it's missing is gameplay elements. (I'm not talking about wandering around hunting things and gathering XP: what I actually mean is artificial selection, genetic manipulation and uncovering the tree of life, as well as taking care of the ecosystem and encouraging biodiversity) I want Species to be a fun game on it's own merits: in addition to being an interesting and accurate simulation.

Heh, compared to where I want to take it, this barely even qualifies as an alpha release. It's really just a proof of concept.
- Zombie Marie Curie
Quasar

Postby BathTub » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:51 am

BathTub
Site Admin

Postby zilch » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:10 am

Looks very cool.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Previous

Return to SMRTist's Studio