Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Jason Lisle: Another sociopath?

A place to talk about specific theists and our interactions with 'em. Should we engage or dismiss? Are there effective strategies?

Re: Jason Lisle: Another sociopath?

Postby E-lad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:37 am

zilch wrote:How can someone so smart say stuff so stupid?

That, dear sir, is probably the number one question in the mind of most Smrtians.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BeamStalk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Dunning-Kruger effect and some Cognitive dissonance
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby zilch » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:12 am

BeamStalk wrote:

Dunning-Kruger effect and some Cognitive dissonance

Not to mention the logic-smothering craving for Pie in the Sky.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby the_ignored » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:14 am

Looks like Lisle wasn't honest with how "new" his solution to the speed of light problem was:

I've heard from a few folks on Lisle's latest ARJ paper on the starlight travel time. Some were guarded in their assessment, and others thought it was rubbish. Folk over at sensuouscurmudgeon raise some interesting questions, like how a nonconstant speed of light relates to permittivity and permeability. I would be interested in Lisle's response to that. As for myself, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the whole thing.

Then there was the really interesting revelation to me that his idea is not actually new. It was originally published in an issue of TJ nine years ago, under Lisle's pseudonym at the time, "Robert Newton."

Newton. 2001. Distant starlight and Genesis: conventions of time measurement. TJ 15(1):80-85. [PDF]

That was followed by considerable discussion (PDF, PDF, PDF), but it should be noted that though Hartnett was initially hostile to the idea, he later seems to have adopted it in his own cosmogony (PDF).
the_ignored

Postby the_ignored » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Well, for the hell of it, remember when Lisle and I got into it on galax formation once before?

I wonder how he'd react to this article: Spiral Galaxies Aren't The Only Ones With Spiral Shapes.
the_ignored

Postby Chris » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:24 pm

I tend to think Lyle's support for creationism has more to do with money than anything else. Or maybe that's just me being cynical.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby zilch » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:51 am

Sigh. Reynold, I remember that all too well. But as I told Lisle myself, he's at least polite (if a bit smug at times) and coherent. This makes it much easier to spot his false reasoning.

Btw- Lisle was an astrophysics student of my friend John. He was such a memorable student that John couldn't remember anything about him.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Previous

Return to Care and Feeding of Recalcitrant, Incorrigible Fundies