Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

"War on Xmas" starts early this year

Societal values are pushed / squashed by political activity. Is the influence of religion increasing? Is skepticism being deemphasized? Help us understand it all...

"War on Xmas" starts early this year

Postby vms » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-launch ... 19638.html

Trump Launches The 'War On Christmas' In July

President Donald Trump caused the name of a holiday to trend on social media over the weekend ― just not the one most Americans are about to celebrate.

Speaking at an event to honor veterans and celebrate faith just days ahead of Independence Day, Trump brought up Christmas.

“I remind you that we’re going to start staying ‘Merry Christmas’ again,” the president said at the “Celebrate Freedom” event at the Kennedy Center on Saturday night.

Trump was speaking about the role of faith in American politics, including the First Amendment’s guarantee of religious freedom, when he fired off what might be the earliest-ever salvo in the so-called “war on Christmas.”

While many of his followers were filled with the holiday spirit ― in July ― others were mystified by the random shoutout to a holiday still nearly six months off, causing #MerryChristmas to rise like Santa’s sleigh through Twitter’s list of trending topics:
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Re: "War on Xmas" starts early this year

Postby zilch » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:13 am

Trump achieves yet another first.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:39 pm

The fuck does that even mean, we're gonna start saying merry christmas again. Is he gonna mandate that or something? Is he going to call target and say your greeter better say merry christmas or we're gonna have a problem. Is he gonna create the starbucks holiday cup this year? What a world we live in.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby zilch » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:13 pm

I suspect Trump's War on Happy Holidays won't go beyond nasty tweets at the most. But who knows? Empowered by a hypnotized GOP, he might try anything.

I can't even bring myself to hate Trump- he's a sociopath, bred and born. But are all Republican politicians sociopaths too? That's hard to believe. Have they all sold their souls to Big Money?
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to Politics 'n' Stuff