Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Anyone w/ Experience w/ SSD drives?

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

Anyone w/ Experience w/ SSD drives?

Postby vms » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am

My 5 yo desktop is showing its age. Basically the cooling fans are wearing out and making bad noises. The vendor (HP) no longer provides replacement parts for it so it's time to buy a new desktop. I would want redundant storage so I prefer hardware RAID-1 but they don't seem to have it anymore that's bootable.

I'm thinking of going all Solid-State Disks (SSD) but have never used them before. Eliminating moving parts in the storage is appealing, sounds like they'd be much more reliable. I know they're extremely fast, my sister recently got a new laptop with SSD and the thing boots literally in a few seconds.

So any advice about SSD would be appreciated.

PS: Once I get a new desktop I may bring this one somewhere to see if they can scrounge up replacement fans and then keep it as a backup desktop.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Re: Anyone w/ Experience w/ SSD drives?

Postby zilch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 am

I'm considering the same thing, so I too would be curious what people's experience has been.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:39 pm

My youngest son has built his last two desktops in order to get the graphics and other performance levels that he needs. His present the computer case is large and it's easy to replace drives, cards etc and he recently installed a Solid Sate drive. I asked him about that and he said they are great for the speed, but that after a certain amount of time they needed to be updated (or something) and there is a way to monitor their performance, etc.
Maybe that's a starting point for you and is all I know about it. He really likes it though and I can confirm since I use his machine when I'm down there it is so fast. Very noticeable.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BeamStalk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 pm

I have two ssd in my computer, love them, the boot and access time is phenomenal and have had no problems with them.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby E-lad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Here's the poop:

Paraphrase= SSDs are the hands down winners but they are much more expensive than regular hard drives.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby vms » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks Froggie, I have read that and a couple of other articles about SSD v HDD. Current plan is to get a 256 GB SSD for OS & software and a 1 TB HDD for all my data files.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:33 am

vms wrote:Thanks Froggie, I have read that and a couple of other articles about SSD v HDD. Current plan is to get a 256 GB SSD for OS & software and a 1 TB HDD for all my data files.

From my level of play that seems to be a good trade off on price vs utility. I have to laugh when my son shows me his liquid cooled machine and how it's laid out.
Last edited by E-lad on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
E-lad

Postby BeamStalk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:36 am

vms wrote:Thanks Froggie, I have read that and a couple of other articles about SSD v HDD. Current plan is to get a 256 GB SSD for OS & software and a 1 TB HDD for all my data files.

I have 256 GB SSD for my OS, 512 GB SSD for games I need on a good HD, and 2 TB for basically everything else.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby zilch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am

E-lad wrote: I have to laugh when my son shows me his liquid cooled machine and how it's laid out.

It's enough that I have to liquid-cool my head. I don't want to have to pour beer into my computer too.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to It's All Geek To Me