Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Sometimes It Pays To Be a Long-Term Customer

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

Sometimes It Pays To Be a Long-Term Customer

Postby lehman scott » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Just a little story describing something cool that happened to me today that started out my week nicely...

So, as a few of you know, besides the internet, my only means of communication with the outside world is my 12-year-old i530 Nextel cell phone, whose battery as of late has been increasingly difficult to charge due to degradation of electrical contacts. For the last couple of months I've had to jiggle the charger plug in just the right way to complete the circuit and then not even go near the connection for fear of terminating the battery recharging. This weekend was the end, though - - no amount of jiggling or isopropyl alcohol cleanings could provide me the electrical connections I required. My phone power system was in its death throes and I knew I had to finally deal with the situation.

So I drive down to the local Sprint store this morning with the intention of purchasing a charging station and spare battery to keep me telephonically operational. The sole dude in the store is helping another customer so in the meanwhile I decide to peruse the current best technology that is available to me if I were here to purchase a new phone and price was no object. Amazing technologies: iPhones, iPads, 4G, full internet connectivity, GPS, video camera, countless applications, but all these devices cost $300 and up, plus what I expect would be a monthly fee at least twice what I pay now. Very cool stuff, no doubt, but I don't need nor can afford any of that shit. All I need to do is to get a charging station for my telephone battery before it runs out of juice in the next 24 hours.

So after other customer leaves, Sprint dude, whose name is Chad, inquires as to what I need, and I explain. He informs me that not only what I want is unavailable, but that the entire Nextel network frequencies are being taken over by the Department of Homeland Security next June and I will have to get an entirely new phone by then, anyway. Shit. I guess I'm going to buy a new phone today.

So while Chad is pulling up my account on his computer I start looking at the minimalist flip-top cell phones that look and function much like my current one and cost only $99 or less. Not as cool or functional as the awesome iPhones I was just looking at, but whatever. It's just a goddamned phone.

As I'm trying to make my selection Chad approaches me and leads me back to the iPhone section of their displays and points out one iPhone I'd been looking at.

Chad then tells me because I've been such a valued long-term customer I can have that phone for $0.99.

That's right. Ninety-nine.fucking.cents. And only an additional $10 per month.

Y*\M/

Sprint rules. And as of today I think there is some hope for Capitalism.

Off into the 21st-century world of mobile connectivity I go...
Last edited by lehman scott on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Re: Sometimes It Pays To Be a Long-Term Customer

Postby E-lad » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Welcome to the 21st century! So now you'll be fucking with your new phone figuring out all the new features for the next week.
Does it have a GPS?
Voice recognition?
Camera? One or two?

Now you can get all the neato apps!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby vms » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 pm

That was a nice surprise for you LS. I too have Sprint, a real simple cell phone that I've had for over 6 years. Next time I'm near the Sprint store I may drop by to see if they have a similar offer for me.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby lehman scott » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:36 pm

E-lad wrote:Welcome to the 21st century! So now you'll be fucking with your new phone figuring out all the new features for the next week.
Does it have a GPS?
Voice recognition?
Camera? One or two?

Now you can get all the neato apps!

Yepp. All of the above. Although I must admit I've put a strip of duct tape over the front camera lens. I once worked with a guy who used to work for the National Security Agency. The information those guys routinely monitor and process is unbelievable. And it is well-known that they are able to hijack any PC or smart-phone camera if they want to. Not that I currently have anything to hide, mind you, my activism days are way in my past.

It's just the principal of the thing.

And yes, I will be fucking with this thing for the next couple of weeks until i get the hang of it.
Last edited by lehman scott on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby lehman scott » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:42 pm

vms wrote:That was a nice surprise for you LS. I too have Sprint, a real simple cell phone that I've had for over 6 years. Next time I'm near the Sprint store I may drop by to see if they have a similar offer for me.

You should do that, vms. I'd bet you could get the same deal i did today.

I'm still blown away.
- - Barack Obama

- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby AD6LR » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:59 am

Not to ruin your day, but if its the iPhone 4S, that's the going price for it everywhere right now.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s ... y/iphone4s
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver....
AD6LR
Site Admin

Return to It's All Geek To Me