Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Help!

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

Help!

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:22 pm

The hard drive on my old computer died and I splurged and got a new computer with windows 7.

I don't really like the OS and the biggest problem is that it won't allow me to install all my windows 95 programs. My computer's version of windows just will not recognise any older program. I tried running a virtual XP and it just refused. I downloaded virtualbox but it refused to install my programs. Any suggestions or should I delete the windows 7 and go back to an earlier OS?
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Re: Help!

Postby BathTub » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Virtualbox XP does take a bit of work, I might be able to help, where do you trip up?
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:22 pm

BathTub wrote:Virtualbox XP does take a bit of work, I might be able to help, where do you trip up?

I activate the virtual box program easily. I go to settings and choose windows for the operating system and 95 for the version. I then go to my drive and try and install the program and...nothing. I can't even see the installation program through virtualbox. when I've tried to push start anyway the program just replies "No Bootable Medium Found. Program Halted." Where am I tripping up?
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby BathTub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 am

Ok this going to sound ridiculously dense, but you have downloaded and installed the VM's from microsoft?

Basically what hard-drive are you using?
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:07 am

BathTub wrote:Ok this going to sound ridiculously dense, but you have downloaded and installed the VM's from microsoft?

Basically what hard-drive are you using?

I'm using the internal hard drive. Since the computer is brand new wouldn't I already have VM? How would I check for it? The computer runs Windows 7 Home Premium. You're talking to a real novice here.
Chris

Postby BathTub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 am

Ok, so we are literally at step 1. All virtualbox is is a empty PC like you had just but the bits of a machine together. It's now waiting for you to install an OS on it. Do you have an XP CD?

Basically VB would be a PC inside your PC, you have to install everything you need on it. If you don't have an XP CD around then you would have to acquire one.

It might be easier for you to install Virtual Machine and use the free copies MS give out, if you don't mind reinstalling everything every 3 months.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 am

I don't have an XP CD but I've noticed that there are free XP downloads on offer. Do you think I should download one and burn it on a CD?
Chris

Postby BathTub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 am

Obviously things don't get any cheaper than just pirating it. Believe it or not I have no experience with that because I do this through work and everything has to be legit.

Microsoft actually give away Virtual Hard drives of all their supported OS' for testing purposes, so we use the ones they give away.

If you need things working now, straight away, then the easiest thing you can do is install MS Virtual PC, download XP from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download ... x?id=11575 and just make a new VPC with the supplied XP drive.

Anything else is going to be a bit more work, and take longer. So that's just recommended if you are on a clock.

edit. Actually it occurs to me that I have the Virtual box files set up at work that will make it a 5 minute job for you to get started with XP. I just need a place to upload a 500 meg file for you.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:34 am

BathTub wrote:edit. Actually it occurs to me that I have the Virtual box files set up at work that will make it a 5 minute job for you to get started with XP. I just need a place to upload a 500 meg file for you.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Anything you could do is greatly appreciated.

By the way does Virtual Box allow Icons to appear on the desktop or do I always have to run all these old 95 programs through Virtual Box every time I want to use them?
Chris

Postby BathTub » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:53 am

You'll always be running them inside VB. But you can save states and resume VB so it shouldn't be too annoying, and XP will run pretty damn quick on a new PC.

Do you know somewhere I can upload a 500 meg file?
BathTub
Site Admin

Next

Return to It's All Geek To Me