Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Help!

We have some very knowledgeable geeks in our midst, maybe we can work together to answer each other's questions

Re: Help!

Postby nemesis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:39 am

You will have the same problems if not more with Mac OSX as you do with Windows 7.

You have not told us what version of Windows 7 you have installed. Is it 32bit or 64bit? Is it Home, Professional, Ultimate, or another?

Have you tried installing any of your applications on the new machine? If you have Windows 7 32-bit, there's a good chance they will run once you set the appropriate compatibility mode.
nemesis

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 am

nemesis wrote:You will have the same problems if not more with Mac OSX as you do with Windows 7.
Well that blows that idea. Rats!

You have not told us what version of Windows 7 you have installed. Is it 32bit or 64bit? Is it Home, Professional, Ultimate, or another? Home Premium.

Have you tried installing any of your applications on the new machine? Yes. The wierd thing is some of the programs will install and the others won't even start. But they are all written for the same system.If you have Windows 7 32-bit, there's a good chance they will run once you set the appropriate compatibility mode.
Last edited by Chris on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:59 am

BathTub wrote:No, I wouldn't think so. I think a VB set up is your best bet at this point.

Can you tell me when you have downloaded the ova as I will be deleting it as I don't want to get into trouble. While MS do have them up for free I don't want to have to have that discussion with dropbox.
I'll download it right this second BT. Thank you for all your help. It's really appreciated.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 am

BathTub wrote:You'll always be running them inside VB. But you can save states and resume VB so it shouldn't be too annoying, and XP will run pretty damn quick on a new PC.

Do you know somewhere I can upload a 500 meg file?

Dropbox allows 2Gigs of storage. Google drive about 5 gigs. Microsoft gives like 7 or something on Skydrive.

If you have a unique non-gmail, yahoo, etc... e-mail address, then I might be able to hook you up with a 50 gigabyte box.net account.
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:47 am

Didn't work BT. I successfully downloaded the windows XP & imported it to VB & a sign appeared saying service pack CD 3 needed.
Chris

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 am

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Free download for Windows 7 professional.
IntellectualNinja

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:53 am

IntellectualNinja wrote:
BathTub wrote:You'll always be running them inside VB. But you can save states and resume VB so it shouldn't be too annoying, and XP will run pretty damn quick on a new PC.

Do you know somewhere I can upload a 500 meg file?

Dropbox allows 2Gigs of storage. Google drive about 5 gigs. Microsoft gives like 7 or something on Skydrive.

If you have a unique non-gmail, yahoo, etc... e-mail address, then I might be able to hook you up with a 50 gigabyte box.net account.

Thank you for your offer IN. I've successfully downloaded the program BT uploaded but it didn't work. I think the next step is uninstall windows 7.
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 am

IntellectualNinja wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned this from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Trouble is I only have Home Premium. It won't download onto my system.
Chris

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:58 am

Chris wrote:
IntellectualNinja wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned this from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

I'm download Windows XP right now. I'll export a new virtual machine for you later tonight. :)
IntellectualNinja

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:02 am

IntellectualNinja wrote:
Chris wrote:

I'm download Windows XP right now. I'll export a new virtual machine for you later tonight. :)

You are a lifesaver. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Chris

PreviousNext

Return to It's All Geek To Me